The end-of-year holiday season brings lots of festive sights and sounds. But you may miss out on some holiday magic if you’re living with untreated hearing loss.
The Benefits of Getting a Hearing Test Before the Holidays
Scheduling a hearing test before the holidays provides several advantages.
- It will let you put your mind at ease and allow you to enjoy the festive season without worrying about your hearing loss.
- Knowing how your hearing loss has changed allows you to make necessary adjustments before the holidays are in full swing.
- You’ll be able to feel present while you have dinner with your family, watch your children and grandchildren open presents, and attend holiday services.
- Better participate in conversations and reduce your risk of social withdrawal.
- A hearing test will determine if you have an underlying medical condition affecting your hearing, so you can also address that.
The Importance of Regular Hearing Tests
Family dinners, group outings and holiday parties can be difficult to be an active part of if you have hearing loss. Your ears may not permit you to connect with conversations, and background noise, children’s shouts and music can make the listening environment tricky.
It’s important to prepare your hearing for the holidays as soon as possible so you can enjoy yourself without straining your ears and brain. Getting your hearing tested regularly also helps you monitor how your hearing has changed over time, so your audiologist can adjust your hearing aids to maximize their effectiveness.
What to Expect During a Hearing Test
Our expert doctors of audiology will get to know you as a person before we learn about you as a patient. They will ask about your medical history, lifestyle choices and listening habits to determine if those factors impact your hearing.
The physical exam allows your audiologist to see if you have blockages, excess earwax, tumors or an infection that could be causing hearing loss.
Once they’ve completed your physical exam, you’ll wear headphones in a soundproof booth and listen to different tones and speech at varying volumes. Your audiologist will review your audiogram results to identify the softest sounds and pitches you can hear. If they suggest hearing aids as a treatment option, they will provide hearing device demonstrations from different manufacturers.
The Audio Help Hearing Centers team is committed to helping you make the most of your holiday season because we don’t want you to miss a moment of your festivities. Schedule your hearing test online or call us at 888-832-9966 to set up your appointment.